Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th (for the young buccaneers)

30 minutes

Intended for 20 guests, ages 3-5 with an adult

Supplies

"A is for Arrr!: A Pirate Alphabet" by Laura Purdie Salas
"Pirate Nap: A Book of Colors" by Danna Smith
20 pieces of white card stock
20 red foam squares (flag)
20 brown paper squares (treasure chest)
20 black ship shaped pieces
20 popsicle sticks
20 blue crayons
20 paper book cutouts
Bingo markers (Do-a-dot Art: Sponge Tip Applicator)
Jewel stickers

Program

With programs for the littler ones, I always have to remember to break up the story time with some finger plays.  Kings County Library System has a great wiki where they have an awesome collection of finger plays, rhymes and songs for the little ones.  Also, I tend to structure my programs a bit more for the little ones.  Not as much free time, more bing-bang-boom one thing to another to keep them entertained.  That being said, the program goes as follows:

Hello Song (Pirate style)

Hello, Hello!
Hello and how arrrrrrrrrrrrrr you?
I'm pirate-y, I'm pirate-y!
And I hope that you arrrrrrrrrr too!
(x2)

If you're a pirate

Tune: If you happy and you know it!

If you’re a pirate and you know it, swab the deck (Swish, swish)
If you’re a pirate and you know it, swab the deck (Swish, swish)
If you’re a pirate and you know it, then you’ll hear the sea winds blowin’.
If you’re a pirate and you know it, swab the deck (Swish, swish)
(Repeat the song with “Walk the plank” (Stomp, stomp) & Say ahoy: Ahoy! (Wave hello)

Well blow me down mateys!  You all sound like formidable pirates to me!  This first book I have you ye all is "Pirate Nap: A Book of Colors" by Danna Smith.  Do you all think that you landlubbers can help me with the colors in this book?  Say "arrrrrr" if you think you can!  

"Pirate Nap: A Book of Colors" by Danna Smith

That was g-arrrrrrrr-eat ye landlubbers! Perhaps yer more pirate-y than I thought!  Let's do a little ditty together about Five Pirates on a ship!   

Five Pirates

Five pirates heading out to shore
One jumped overboard and now there are four.
Four pirates heading out to sea
One stole all the Captains's gold
And now there are three.
Three pirates with not a lot to do
One was made to walk the plank
And now there are two.
Two pirates having lots of fun
One drank all the first mate's juice
And now there is one.
One pirate sitting in the sun
He decides to abandon ship
And now there are none.

Well done me mateys!  Seems to me ye all know yer counting, but do ye know yer alphabet?  Let's practice it together to prep-arrrrrr-e for the next book!  (Sing the alphabet together.)  Well done! Does any one know what letter is a pirate's favorite? RRRRR!

"A is for Arrr!: A Pirate Alphabet" by Laura Purdie Salas

Well done again!  Let's sing one more pirate-y song before we do our craft for the day! 

I'm a Little Pirate

Tune: I'm a Little Teapot

I’m a little pirate, short and fat.
Here is my eye-patch, here is my hat.
When I pull the plug, the boat it sank,
That’s why they made me walk the plank!
(x2)

Arrrrrrr!  Let's go and make our craft! 



Once they have completed their craft, the program is concluded and the little pirates can go out and explore the open sea!  



No comments:

Post a Comment