Monday, November 19, 2012

Monster Mash

45 minutes

Intended for 25 guests, grades K-2

Supplies

25 White pillow cases
Markers
12 Toilet paper rolls (mummy roll ups)
Monster poster (pin the eye on the monster)
25 eyes
"Zombie in Love" by Kelly DiPucchio
Halloween Music
Music player

Program

For this program I had a couple of activities planned -- a "mash" of activities, if you will.

As the children came in, I had the Halloween music playing to set the mood.  I told the children that the first thing we were going to be doing was making trick-or-treat bags to use!  I gave each child a pillow case, because they are big enough to fit a whole lot of candy, and markers and free range to decorate as they saw fit.  I gave them about 15-20 minutes to color and be free!


After that, Mummy Wrapping!  I broke them up into teams of two.  I had an uneven number, so I had one child be a judge with me for the contest that was about to take place.  One child was given a roll of toilet paper, and told to wrap the other one up as best they could.  They needed a little help with this, and so I ran around and helped each pair out a bit.  I gave them 4 minutes to do the best wrap job their little hands could manage.  At the end, my little judge and I picked out a winner.  There was no prize though, because everyone is a winner at the library.

After all that running and spinning, we had a quiet little story time with "Zombie in Love" by Kelly DiPucchio.  This story is adorably hilarious, and the children agreed!



After that, we had a little time left, and we ended with some "Pin the Eye on the Monster!"  I printed out simple color copies of one-eyed-monsters and then printed out a bunch of their eyes.  I cut out the eyes and put double sided tape on the backs.  The children were blindfolded, and spun around and sent them in the direction of the poster.  This was a good time for everyone.



With that, the program was concluded and a good time was had by all!



No comments:

Post a Comment